Friday 9 December 2016

Review: The Sea of Monster (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2) by Rick Riordan

580002Title: The Sea of Monsters
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Genre: Adventure, Paranormal, Middle Grade
Publisher: Puffin Books
Publication date: April 30th 2017
Pages: 265 (paperback)
Source: own it






The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Rioran's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Rioran's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.


Earlier this week I posted my review of the first Percy Jackson book and like I told you in there this series really got me hooked. So here is my review for the second book in the series The Sea of Monsters.

The Percy Jackson isn’t the best that I have ever read but it certainly is not bad and I am sure that it is even more appealing to a 12-year-old which is the target audience. But like the first book The Sea of Monsters was such a fun read. There is just so much adventure and so much is happening that it does not bore you for a minute. In every chapter something new and exciting happens and I guess that is one of the main reasons why this book was so hard to put down and why I read it in just one day, something I have not done in ages.

My only issue with this book is that this book is a bit repetitive, every single time it seems like that the heroes come across a big issue. They are able to solve it, most of the time with somebodies help, but that gets them into some more problems later on.  But I guess the characters make up a lot for that. I just cannot withstand their charms. Annabeth who is too intelligent for her age and always has a plan for everything, Percy who is the reckless one and never thinks about what his actions might do and Grover who always gets himself accidently into some trouble, bad luck just seems to follow him. And then of course there was Tyson, the cyclops, that got introduced in this book. I really liked him as a character and I am hoping we will get to see more of him in the next books.

A lot of other characters from the Greek mythology made an appearance in this book. I really liked reading about all of them and getting to know their little back stories. I know that those have to be taken with a pinch of salt since it’s aimed at middle graders so it has some alternations but it was still so great to read about it.

I have a feeling that the back story will come more and more to the forefront now in the next books, Kronos his rise to power. And I am really excited for that, that together with the major event at the end of the book makes that I cannot wait to start reading the next book in the series.


Overall I really enjoyed The Sea of Monster, it was a quick and fun read. The Percy Jackson world is definitely a really interesting one. And I cannot wait to continue reading this series. 


Elien

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!