Friday 6 February 2015

Review: Raven (Chronicles of Steele #1) by Pauline Creeden

23206075Title: Raven
Author: Pauline Creeden
Series: Chronicles of Steele
Genre: Steampunk, Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: AltWit Press
Publication date: October 2014
Pages: 248 (paperback)
Source: Negalley






Human life has value.
The poor living in the gutter are as valuable as the rich living in a manor. 
The scoundrel is no less valuable than the saint.
Because of this, every life a reaper takes must be redeemed.

Raven has lived by this first tenet since she was trained by her father to become a reaper. But since his death, she's been spending years redeeming the lives she's taken. By her count, she's even and it's time for that life to end. If she settles down and becomes a wife, she might just feel human again. But on the way to the life she thinks she wants, the baron of New Haven asks her to complete a task which she cannot ignore... Just when Raven decides to give up her life as an assassin, she's pulled right back in.


Steampunk is such an interesting genre and I really love it. Still somehow I have read only a few books in this genre. But when I saw this book I knew that I had to read it, and I am glad that I did.
Raven Steele is a reaper. Once they were the elite guard of the Duke but now they are the villains. A price is set on their heads. Still Raven never once thought to changer her lifestyle. But now she is willing to give it all up for love after this one last assignment. Or is it already too late?

Since it is a story about a reaper the book was packed with action. I often sat on the edge of my seat anxious to find out how the events would turn out. But there was also time for friendship and love. I loved seeing how both of these developed. When we first met Raven she was all by herself. She only had one person she could go to. But at the end of the novel she got so many people surrounding her who truly loved her and cared for her. It was so great to see.

Raven was an amazing character. Her way of life might not be perfect but she is a good person. She cares for people and would do everything to protect them. She is very determined to complete what she has begun. Raven has some rough edges but at the same time she has a little heart. She is afraid to get hurt again or to hurt someone she cares about. But I really loved that she was so independent and well she is a kickass girl.  
Grant was a very noble and loyal man. Maybe even a bit too loyal since he follows the orders of his duke without questioning.  But I liked that he was such a gentlemen, he knows how to behave in front of a lady. And at heart he is a really good and decent guy.


The plot of this book was good. There were enough twists to keep me enthusiastic. The story progressed nice and slowly. But there were times that I felt a little lost. Especially with the time indications. Sometimes the author told that it had been over a month since something had happened but in my head it had only been a couple of day. I also felt that some things could have been worked out better. Like for instance she mentioned the use of automatons a couple of times in this book and they were important at the end of the story but we never got to know what the full story of them was. There were a couple more of loose ends in this book. Also the love in this book came out of the blue for me. Suddenly they had these feelings for each other and I kept thinking “When did that happen?”.  Other than that I have no complaints about this book.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. I cannot wait to read more steampunk books. If you like steampunk or fantasy books in general then I would recommend this book for you. It was an entertaining read and I cannot wait to read Darius his book. 

El

1 comment:

  1. the content of the story is very interesting an experience and new insights that I get after reading this article, thanks for very interesting information, we are waiting for other interesting information

    obat penyempitan tulang belakang herbal
    pengobatan herbal penyakit parkinson
    cara menyembuhkan benjolan di kelopak mata

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!