Tuesday 11 November 2014

Review: The Fool (Virtual Arcana #0) by Karen Amanda Hooper

22231876Title: The Fool
Author: Karen Amanda Hooper
Series: Virtual Arcana
Genre: sci-fi, dystopian, YA
Publication date: November 8th 2014
Pages: 57 (epub)
Source: received from author (Thank you so much!!)







The Matrix meets The Notebook (with a sprinkle of The Giver). 

In a faraway future, Kelsey Zellar is starting her senior year at yet another school thanks to her twin sister's troublesome obsession with outlawed virtual reality games. 

Every school they've ever attended is pretty much the same: lunchroom drama, rich kids binging on enhancement candies, and classmates rallying for or against the government's strict control over everything from entertainment privileges to caffeine consumption. 

Unlike her sister, Kelsey follows the rules the rules and keeps her nose out of trouble and politics while sniffing out her next flavored latte and favorite novel. But when Kelsey meets a charming book connoisseur, and accepts his offering of a tarot card, she takes the first step toward two new addictions: the guy of her dreams and his illegal dealing of virtual escapes into her beloved storybooks.

Kelsey straddles the worlds of fiction and reality, but is she a fool for believing in her own happy ending? 

**This series will be serial style with short episodes (15-20k) releasing frequently. For those who want to wait for a longer, more complete story, a collection of the first 7 episodes, VIRTUAL ARCANA, Season 1, will be available once episode 7 has released.**


Karen Amanda Hooper is an amazing, she got me hooked on her books after I read Grasping at Eternity. So when I heard she was working on a new book series I was so excited. After reading this first episode in her book series I can safely say that she didn’t let me down.

Virtual Arcana is a serial series, some people love it while others hate it. I am not so sure how I feel about it, it really depends from series to series. This one started good so for now I liked it. But I can’t help being a little frustrated because it’s so short and I immediately want to know what’s going to happen next after I finished it. Luckily for me the next installment will be released in a couple of days.

The idea of this book is so great. It has an interesting take on the dystopian and fantasy world. In Virtual Arcana everything in the society is controlled by the government from your heart rate and emotions to your intake of caffeine. Everything is punishable, and for Kelsey and her twin sister Keekee this is a problem. They are both addicted to the escape through a fictional world. While Kelsey’s is legal, Keekee’s is not. And her habits have caused her family more than enough trouble. But now Kelsey has her own chance at a whole new reality. Does she give in or does she everything at all cost to protect her family?

The book had me intrigued from the very first page. I want to learn more about the society and the world where Kelsey and her family lives in. And the ending of this book… I have no idea what was going on, I was as confused as Kelsey. I loved it!

Overall I really liked the first episode in this series, it was a little too short but I can get over that. I'm really excited for the next installment in this series, can't wait to get my hands on it! 


El



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! :)
    Poor Kelsey, she has even more confusion ahead of her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read the next part in this series, it's really amazing!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!