Thursday 23 January 2014

Review: Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful #1) by Yvonne Woon

Synopsis
7875327On the morning of her sixteenth birthday, Renée Winters was still an ordinary girl. She spent her summers at the beach, had the perfect best friend, and had just started dating the cutest guy at school. No one she'd ever known had died. But all that changes when she finds her parents dead in the Redwood Forest, in what appears to be a strange double murder. 

After the funeral Renée's wealthy grandfather sends her to Gottfried Academy, a remote and mysterious boarding school in Maine, where she finds herself studying subjects like Philosophy, Latin, and the "Crude Sciences."

It's there that she meets Dante Berlin, a handsome and elusive boy to whom she feels inexplicably drawn. As they grow closer, unexplainable things begin to happen, but Renée can't stop herself from falling in love. It's only when she discovers a dark tragedy in Gottfried's past that she begins to wonder if the Academy is everything it seems; 

Little does she know, Dante is the one hiding a dangerous secret, one that has him fearing for her life. 

- Goodreads -


Opinion
I had no idea what to expect when I started to read Dead Beautiful. The synopsis was pretty vague so I didn’t have a clue what this book was about. In the end I was surprised to find out what Dante’s secret was.

The book started rather slowly and I was a bit afraid that I wasn’t going to like it. But after a couple of chapters the pace picked up a bit and the story became really interesting. I loved seeing Gottfried Academy and all that happened there through Renée’s eyes. It was like I myself was discovering all the secrets of Gottfried Academy. All the events and the characters managed to absorb my attention throughout the entire book. 
The romance between Renée and Dante was sweet. Sure they were attracted to one another from the first moment they met for some weird reason. But before they jumped right into a relationship they got to know each other first. And it took them a while to give into their feelings.

But the best part of the book was the plot. You knew that something odd was going on at the academy but you hadn’t a clue what exactly. And bit by bit all the secrets began to unravel and all the mysteries became clear. So the tension kept building up till the end of the book, you could feel that something was about to happen you just didn’t know what exactly. At the end all lose bits of the story nicely came together.


I really liked this book, the only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because of its slow start. But I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves reading paranormal young adult books. I can’t wait to read the rest of the books in this series. 

Extra
Title: Dead Beautiful
Author: Yvonne Woon 
Series: Dead Beautiful 
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication date: September 21st 2010
Pages: 464 (hardcover) 
Other books: 

El 




2 comments:

  1. I loved this book. I read it way back in 2011. :)

    Like you I thought there was something weird going on but I could not put my finger on it.

    I have not read the sequels and I don't even know the titles of them... I look forward to your reviews of them :)

    Great review! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to read the sequels soon, but I first need to buy them :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!